Saturday, July 9, 2011

Strange and Wonderful Japanese Gardening Trends


I HEART CUCUMBERS.....A LOT


This post is actually announcing a new sub-blog that I am starting and beta testing along with my designer friend, Jess. It's called the CHEESEBOOK PROJECT, and it will cover the more interesting, odd, curious or just plant weird happenings that relate to the the plant world ( such as this post). Jess and I are both involved in the design and trend business, and sometimes we come across super-interesting discoveries that are either beautiful, strange, or just noteworthy. We thought that some of our findings might be better if they loved on a separate site. So, I proudly announce the launch of the CHEESEBOOK PROJECT.

NOTE: (We are unofficially 'soft-launching'the site, since we are still designing it, but I would love to hear your thoughts on the content and the concept).



Japanese Cucumber Molds


If you grow cucumbers at home, or want to give the perfect gift to a gardener friend, the Heart-Shaped Cucumber Molds will let you grow your young cucumbers into perfect heart shapes over time (and every time). Have unique salads for dinner parties and special occasions, or use your imagination to create something else entirely!
It's easy to use too: just insert the pins into the mold to hold it together in the right shape. Then insert a baby cucumber into the mold when it's about the size of a little finger, using the hooks and a net to hold it up. As it grows up it will be shaped into a heart. Once it's reached about 70-80% up the mold, release it and harvest your delicious crop! From Japanese Trend Shop for only $87 US.


SHAPED SQUASHES AND PUMPKINS ARE NOT NEW, NOR IS SCARRING, BUT CUCUMBERS? IMAGINE WHERE THIS COULD GO!



I don't know if you've ever been to Japan, but I feel that one of the most amazing things about that most beautiful country, beyond its plants and people who love plants, is its unique product - most of which may seem silly to us, is often simply designed to bring more joy into everyday life, especially life which can be frenzied and in a city like Tokyo, devoid of green  spaces. The Japanese truly treasure nature, but they also have a fascination with controlling things ( i.e. bonsai). Here are a few fun "Friday" things for you to enjoy.





++++++++++


Sakura Home Cherry Blossom Kit

Also from Japanese Trend Shop, comes this amazingly beautiful little Sakura tree, that one can simply water and allow to "bloom" on your desktop or most anywhere. I may actually order this, since it looks like a great Holiday gift ( it's a little pricey), but it also reminds me of those crystals I used to grow on old bricks using bluing, when I was a kid. I think this is paper, but not sure what the blossoms are. Regardless, it looks like the ultimate conversation piece.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++




Green Walls Project

This summer in Tokyo, a promotion to get citizens to grow "green walls". vines growing on mesh to shade terraces and to add beauty and fresh air, is being promoted by a mixed group of sources ranging from the local governments, to seed distributors and local nurseries. 


Already bitten by the container gardening bug and the green movement toward a more sustainable environment, Tokyoites are eagerly challenging each other with their walls of Asagao ( Japanese Morning glories), gourds and Japanese squashes. We all can take a lesson from this most successful movement. On the site linked above, click on the green boxes on the left to see more images.

24 comments:

  1. I mentioned the cucumber trick to a friend, and they tell me apparently Disney World has been doing this for years, making Mickey Mouse shaped cucumbers to serve on salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that last week when we took the "Behind the Seeds" tour at DisneyWorld I even got a pic of some and as soon as I figure out how to use my darn smart phone to get everything loaded into my computer I'm setting up a whole section on the Disney garden.

      Delete
  2. The cucumber idea is so clever! www.gardenrookie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do i buy molds

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get the Sakura tree growing kit in the science isle in any craft store...probably for a fraction of the cost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $87 for the cucumber molds??? Seriously??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....

      Delete
    2. I'm with you. The use of the word "only" $87, is as insulting as the price itself.

      Delete
    3. I see pampered chef cookie or bread molds just like those except they are aluminum (i think), all the time at the thrift store. $1 is worth it.

      Delete
  6. I would suggest recycling 500-750ml plastic pop bottles into the molds...cut off the tops & bottoms, flex/crease the sides the the outer shape you want & insert the baby cucumbers/zucchini as suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Find the metal pampered chef bread molds...stars hearts or flowers tuey will do the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Japan...it's not cheap! But I won't use it because it's plastic...too bad...

    ReplyDelete
  9. 87 us dollars for a piece of plastic???

    ReplyDelete
  10. well it's a cool idea, but I can't spend that kind of money on it so i'm going to the store to find the fat cucumber and using my heart shaped mold and cutting out my own and then maybe a smaller one to cut a center out ...........

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could also use cookie cutters after slicing the cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how amazing! I look forward to growing some of these in the future... err. if I have the budget for that plastic ;-) And I love that green wall project, it's beautiful! We have gardeners growing morning glories to hang over walls here as well. Thanks for sharing. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found this on Pinterest and am very intrigued! Might be a great way to get my kids to eat cucumbers. Circles aren't interesting enough. ;) Our cucumbers are already on their way, so will have to consider this for next year's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of shaped cucumbers. I see the shaped bread molds at the thrift stores all the time. Less than $2 each. I think I will begin with one of those and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what about metal candle molds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the metal might interact with the produce, or get rusty, you may have to line it with something

      Delete
  16. Cute idea for cucumbers, but no way will I pay $87 for a mold to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute, but $87 is ridiculous. You can get a skilled aluminium welder to make one for you that is cheaper and way sturdier. The aluminium doesn't rust/corrode like iron or steel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have plastic popsicle molds in star and heart shapes... Hmm...

    ReplyDelete